The NAB Show 2014 runs April 5-10 (exhibit floor open April 7-10) and you need to be there! The good news is the Calgary FCPUG is pleased to extend to our members a Free Exhibits-only registration to NAB Show. Use code PR04. Or, to get even more out of NAB this year, use code PR34 to receive $100 off the Conference Flex or SMART Pass. Free offer expired March 21 but you can still get the floor pass for a nominal administration fee with the above links.
So why do you need to attend the NAB Show? Once again tens of thousands of video professionals from around the world, and from right here in Calgary, will gather in Las Vegas for the National Association of Broadcasters annual convention, a real geek-fest of technology, hardware and software, that you need to do your job. With industry speakers, classes, the engineers who build these thing, and the people who use them on-hand you will never have a better opportunity to learn. As well, if you are an independent contractor like myself, chances are the person who will hire you next will be at the NAB Show as well.
Need more information on how to get the most out of the show? Read Walter Biscardi's excellent NAB Show Tips from a NAB Vetern; some of the best advice I've read.
Things not to miss at the NAB Show this year:
– a chance to thank our sponsors – Blackmagic Design, Annex Pro and AJA Video Systems (Artbeats won’t be at NAB this year so send them a note);
– check out this list of official after parties you don't want to miss at NAB;
– attend the 13th Annual Las Vegas Supermeet on Tuesday April 8
Calgary FCPUG members can save $5 if they register in advance using code calvip but you need to register now;
– visit the Canadian Hospitality Suite (details to follow).
– The monorail, though busy, is the fastest way to and from the LVCC from many hotels on the Strip and it is my preferred method of transportation from the Flamingo. Get Monorail tickets in advance at https://tickets.lvmonorail.com/online
Watch this page for even more events as they are announced. When planning for your first NAB trip check out this NAB Show Survival Guide which has some excellent advice, though I believe there is healthy food to be had at the show.
Take advantage of this opportunity to get exposure to the latest and greatest things happening in video and post production. In the end you will come away exhausted but full of ideas and enthusiasm about how you can take your editing to the next level.