The NAB Show 2015 runs April 11-16 (exhibit floor open April 13-16) and you need to be there! The good news is the Calgary FCPUG is pleased to extend to our members a reduced cost Exhibits-only registration to NAB Show. Use code DF108 to late-register for only $25. Or, to get even more out of NAB this year, use code DF41 to receive $100 off the Conference Flex or SMART Pass. The Free offer expired March 27 but you can still get the floor pass for a nominal administration fee with the above links.
So why do you need to attend the NAB Show? Once again tens of thousands of video professionals from around the world, and from right here in Calgary, will gather in Las Vegas for the National Association of Broadcasters annual convention, a real geek-fest of technology, hardware and software, that you need to do your job. With industry speakers, classes, the engineers who build these thing, and the people who use them on-hand you will never have a better opportunity to learn. As well, if you are an independent contractor like myself, chances are the person who will hire you next will be at the NAB Show as well.
Need more information on how to get the most out of the show? Read Walter Biscardi's excellent NAB Show Tips from a NAB Vetern; some of the best advice I've read.
Things not to miss at the NAB Show this year:
– a chance to thank our sponsors – Blackmagic Design, Annex Pro and AJA Video Systems (Artbeats won’t be at NAB this year so send them a note);
– there are a lot of after-parties you don't want to miss at NAB;
– attend the 14th Annual Las Vegas Supermeet on Tuesday April 14
– visit the Canadian Hospitality Suite (details to follow).
– The monorail, though busy, is the fastest way to and from the LVCC from many hotels on the Strip and it is my preferred method of transportation from the Flamingo. Get Monorail tickets in advance at https://tickets.lvmonorail.com/online
Watch this page for even more events as they are announced. When planning for your first NAB trip check out this NAB Show Survival Guide which has some excellent advice, though I believe there is healthy food to be had at the show.
Take advantage of this opportunity to get exposure to the latest and greatest things happening in video and post production. In the end you will come away exhausted but full of ideas and enthusiasm about how you can take your editing to the next level.