Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Difference between Final Cut Pro and iMovie?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Difference between Final Cut Pro and iMovie?

Difference between Final Cut Pro and iMovie? 5 years, 6 months ago #22863

• Brandon
  • Trainee PA
Difference between Final Cut Pro and iMovie? Why should I choose Final Cut instead of IMovie? What advantages Final Cut has over iMovie?

Re: Difference between Final Cut Pro and iMovie? 5 years, 6 months ago #22866

• Duane
  • Executive Producer
Even with the changes in Final Cut Pro X from previous versions it is still easy to define differences, but only you know whether you need the additional capabilities. Apple, of course, has a page about moving from iMovie to FCP X which is a great place to start.

In short, FCP X works with more formats, more audio layers, more video layers, many more video and audio effects, more in-depth video and audio finishing tools, more audio and video transitions, etc. But if you really want to see what can be done FCP X is available for a free 30 day download.

Whether any of this is of value to you depends on what you do and how much work you want to put into your editing. Personally I feel stepping up to FCP X is only of value if you commit time to learning the software. I would recommend getting some help learning, whether a video tutorial from Ripple Training; a book course such as the Apple Pro Training Series: Final Cut Pro X book; or finding a local Apple Pro Training Course to take.
Duane E. Martin
Earth to Sky Pictures Inc.
Apple Certified Trainer - Final Cut Pro
Copyright - all rights reserved.
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by Duane. Reason: fix format

Re: Difference between Final Cut Pro and iMovie? 5 years, 4 months ago #22909

• FRANK
  • Co-Producer
Well Brandon, after reading the reply a short reply would help regards too what has been said. I did have a play around with iMovie 11 and found the whole experience frustrating. Working with FCP7 i was glad to get back to my comfort zone. I cant say much about the new FCP-X, but the future will be in this software.
The only annoying part is i paid good money for FCP7 and Apple have pulled the plug.

Re: Difference between Final Cut Pro and iMovie? 5 years, 4 months ago #22934

• Duane
  • Executive Producer
Two things Frank:

Apple did not take your copy of Final Cut Pro 7 back; you still have it, you can still use it. Had Apple released FCP 8 you know you would have been complaining about having to pay the $300 upgrade fee (the cost of FCP X, by the way).

FCP X is available for a free 30 day trial period. I encourage everyone who is curious to download it and try it out. For a mere $10 you can even convert one of your FCP 7 projects to FCP X so that you have some familiar material to work with.

True there is some re-learning to do, and FCP X may not do everything you want it to do (though I suspect it will do everything you need it to do), it's not an expensive experiment. Try it!
Duane E. Martin

Re: Difference between Final Cut Pro and iMovie? 3 years ago #23345

• chrisking
  • Trainee PA
Personally I prefer iMovie as it seems to be easier for me to work with.

Re: Difference between Final Cut Pro and iMovie? 3 years ago #23347

• Duane
  • Executive Producer
Chris King has a good point. Why not use iMovie until you find it cannot do what you need it to do any longer. By that time you will understand editing better and learning FCP X will be less daunting.
Duane E. Martin
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds